Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Follow Up on the Movie

Following up on the movie, my classmates expressed their feelings of disgust towards the documentary we watched on Friday. I was expecting that we were going to watch the rest of the documentary, but we did not. I believe that we got more out of our conversation about the documentary than we would have if we watched the rest.

One issue that many of my classmates had a problem with was torturing animals in the name of religion. Even people who had no religious affiliation saw the problem behind this. Animals should not be killed in the name of religion. Hannah stated that in the Bible, animals were used as a sacrifice. Should this still apply to religion today? I believe it should not because we live in a different time. According to today's society, it would be wrong. This frustrated some of my classmates and I even more.

Another issue we had with the movie was seeing the "canned hunting." Nicole brought the point up about how much more suffering animals are faced with through canned hunting. By "trapping" the animals into a certain area, they have no chance of surviving. I believe this is wrong because animals should have the right to escape their killers. Also, canned hunting ruins the purposes of killing. Instead of killing for food, canned hunters are killing for a trophy. Animals should not be killed and torture for the sake of the trophy. It morally devalues them and is wrong.

Overall, I believe everyone learned a lot from this discussion. We all realized how animal cruelty and torture integrate with one another. Maybe we will discuss issues like these further when we discuss torture.

No comments: