Saturday, October 27, 2007

Where are they now? (Faces of the Enemy version) and Questions

Yesterday, we discussed what the interviewees of "Faces of the Enemy" did after the documentary. It was very interesting to here what happened.

I was very surprised, yet relieved in a strange way that David Rice had not died. It was nice to hear that his sentencing was dropped for the death penalty to a life sentence without parole. I felt relieved because it made David Rice have to suffer with the consequences of killing innocent people for the rest of his life. Also, I felt relieved because of his psychological state. He was not in the right mental state to do this. It is to make him suffer the consequences rather than dying and not reliving the event in his mind for the rest of his life.

The real hero in the movie was the Vietnam Veteran. I love the fact that he used his previous life experiences in Vietnam to write great movies. In fact, I recently saw one of the movies he wrote, Flags of Our Fathers. I did not even realize he wrote that screenplay until I saw it on Nikki's blog. I had to watch the movie for another class and have been analyzing it. I love how he used the psychological turmoils he faced during the war to show the psychological states that the other Vietnam Veterans faced. It showed that a traumatic situation can be used to make a great movie.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After, we finally (as in the sense we kept saying we would end it but didn't) concluded our discussion on torture by discussing the dialogue. I understand how readers could sympathize with Aaron's position since it is a commoner like us. I still like his view the most because it is not either extreme. I am a very indecisive person myself so I usually pick the middle ground as my position.

Then, we talked about wire-tapping. Wire-tapping is a concept that I do not quite understand the purpose of. I believe that it is useful, but the government is using it in the wrong way. Listening to random people's conversations does not same right to me. Sometimes I wonder if I saw in jokingly way, "I'm going to kill them" on the phone if the CIA is on the other line. It is taking our privacy away from us and is not right.

Overall, we discussed a lot, and I learned a lot from the class. Torture was a topic that needed to be talked about for a long period of time and liked that we explored many different areas of it.

No comments: