Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Value of Animals

Does each animal have its own sentimental and moral value to us? This is what we discussed on Friday. Mainly we discussed this between cows and horses. We have no problem killing cows as a source of food, yet it is a problem with horses. Is an animal's usefullness to us that important? Is it worth killing a cow for food and saving the horse as a mean of transportation? Questions like this kept running through my mind during this discussion.

I agree to it to some extent. Yes cows are very important food source for humans. However, I do not believe they should hold a lesser moral value than horses. I believe that each animal is uniquely important to us, and we should treat it as such. Whether they are a means of food or a means of transportation, they are equally important to us. Although some animals should have lower moral values.


Animals such as ants and porcupines should have a lower moral value. They are not as useful to as cows and horses are. They are just animals that live on the planet. Does this mean they are morally useless? No, I do not think that. I think that they do have a purpose on this planet, but I do not know what that is. This topic could be discussed forever. Hopefully, we will have a good conclusion to this topic on Wednesday.

1 comment:

David K. Braden-Johnson said...

Well, there's no obvious conclusion in sight! But, I think tomorrow's video will underscore the seriousness of these issues.