Saturday, December 15, 2007

Discussion on Freud's Dream Theory

The one-day class discussion we had on Freud's Dream Theory was very interesting. The reason why it interested me was that I was able to hear the reasoning why people though Hobson's argument was more convincing. It opened my eyes up to the failures in Soames argument that I did not realize before. Soame's argument about disproving Hobson's theory was the biggest mistake Soames made in his argument. Instead of arguing against Hobson's theory, he proves Hobson's theory. Soames does this by agreeing with Hobson that REM sleep and dreams do not have to coexist with one another in order to occur. By doing this, he makes his own argument for Freud's Dream Theory invalid in a sense.

I did not realize this mistake in the debate until discussing it in class. After hearing that though, I still agree with Soames. I feel that the other points about the purpose of our dreams and how they are not falsifiable are valid enough for me to belief his argument. I am upset that we did not have enough time to discuss this further because it would be an interesting topic to have more discussions about. I believe that the topic needed more time to be discussed, but I understand the time constraint we had.

No comments: