Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Why do we have to support the war in Iraq to be patriotic?

I do not understand why we have to support the war to be patriotic. Supporting the war means supporting the reasoning for the war. And from what I know, there really is not a justifiable reason, in my opinion, that we are still in the war. So does that make me unpatriotic? I think it is more important to support the troops than support the war. The soldiers are the ones that are receiving the direct consequences of the war. I believe we should have to support them to be patriotic rather than supporting the war themselves. Being part of the war was the government's decision. However, the soldiers did not choose to enter the war. Instead, they chose to serve their country and are fighting the war in Iraq as a consequence.

Also, I believe that the definition of patriotism must change. As I said to Nikki, it needs to change to fit the society we live in today. We are not the not same society we were 20 or 50 years ago. Due to this, I believe that expectations of being patriotic have changed.

I would like some input on this. Should we change our definition of patriotism or not?

No comments: