Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Why help those who are oppressed in Iraq where other countries need our help more?

After Professor Johnson giving the reasoning of the United States being at war with Iraq to help "liberate" the Iraqis and spread democracy, I wondered why we are not helping other countries in need or in fact our own country itself. When Katie brought up Darfur and the Sudan, it made me wonder why we aren't helping them when they need more help then the Iraqis. In fact, the Iraqi president said he did not need our help anymore? Then why won't the our troops get out of Iraq?

Honestly, if the only reason we are truly in Iraq is for oil that is really selfish and stupid in my opinion. I do not think oil is worth thousands of people being injured or dying. Also, if we are just staying Iraq to be the "heroes" of this then that is stupid also (in my opinion). If we are truly going to be heroes we should help countries that actually need our help like Darfur and Sudan. If the Iraqi president says he does not need our help anymore, we should listen to him.

Which sickens me even more is how the troops are not helping those in New Orleans. After spending my spring break in New Orleans, I realized that the people of New Orleans still need our help. Why can't we be heroes in our own country? Why can't we help people that actually want our help?

Bush and the rest of the government need to realize that we need to get out of Iraq as soon as possible. The British were smart enough to get out of Iraq. Why can't we be that smart? In my article Tony Blair said 'I said I 'm with you. I mean it' (Harrison 1). Clearly, if Blair takes his troops out of Iraq, he is not "with" Bush anymore. Bush just needs to get the hint and realize that our troops are needed elsewhere.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Notebook, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://notebooks-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.