On Monday, we ended our discussion on determinism. Discussing genetic determinism was more interesting than I thought. Do our genes really make a difference on who become. I think both yes and no.
I believe that genetics do have a part into who we are. We are bornwith genes from both our mother and father and gain traits from both of them. There are some traits such as alcholism that are spread through genes. However, I think the more important factors are our living siutation and society.
Living siutation is a major part of who we become. The topic of being adopted and having the traits of the adoptive parents came up during this discussion. How children are raised is how they will initially act; it feels "natural" to them. Children are used to certain habits that they begin to pick up and inhabit over time. They see the people around them as role models and try to imitiate them as much as possible. However, children naturally grow out of that state and want to become their own human being.
They can do this through picking up habits through society. Society is a major influence on people. As people get older, society influences more than their upbringing does. Society is the "final molder" in the "molding" process of a human being. Society is where children learn new habits that make them different fromt the rest of their family. It makes you become the individial that you are.
I thought this was a great discussion and look forward to discussing Marxism.
Wednesday, November 7, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment