Tuesday, February 5, 2008

What is our reality?

What is our reality? After class on Monday, Nicole and I started talking about it in a joking manner. After talking about with her, it made me wonder what is my reality? While listening to the discussion in class, I realized that everyone uses their parts of what their reality is to the discussion. In order to understand our own realities, we need to understand where they come from.

How does my reality form? Does it form from my experiences, other people's realities, or both? I believe that my reality comes from my own experiences but mainly other people's realities. Yes, my experiences do affect my reality. It helps shape the way I see the world and what I think about it. However, I believe that other people's realities are the bigger influence.

I believe that other people's realities shape my reality more because I believe that our reality comes more from the people around us rather than our individual experiences. The people we interact with on a daily basis use their own realities to help shape our own. People have a huge impact on one another. One's persons view on reality can completely change another's through people sharing what they consider reality to be.

I hope to understand this more by the end of the semester and look forward to discussing it.

2 comments:

David K. Braden-Johnson said...

Aren't the realities of others experienced by you, making you the primary source of your reality?

Jaclyn Ford said...

I didn't ever really think of reality in that way before. I guess I focused too much on other people's realities. You're point is very well taken though.