Saturday, March 15, 2008

Why Do Some People Claim They Are Atheists When They Are Really Agnostics?

From my personal experience, I have met many people who claim to be agnostic when they are really atheists. Why is that? Since I am neither atheist or agnostic, I do not really know how to explain it.

The main reason I think this happens is because of rebellion. From my personal experience of going to a Christian high school, I remember many of my classmates and schoolmates going against Christianity because they wanted to rebel against their family. However, does that mean they do not believe in a god all together or they do not believe in the "Christian God." I believe that they just do not believe in the "Christian God." From being around people for four years who are like this, I think they do believe in that there is a god, but not the ones their parents follow.

Also, I think it is really hard to not believe in some type of supernatural being after it being engraved into your mind all your life. For example, I went to high school with a boy whose parents were Christian. He said he didn't believe in the Christian God but believed more in a Buddhist-type God. It seems like people turn to other religions to search for their answers until they find the one that is right or they realize that religion does not answer their questions.

This question has always been in my mind and don't quite understand and wish I did. It seems like one of those things that is hard to understand unless you have tried to choose between agnosticism and atheism.

No comments: